The digital platform has provided artists with a space that seemingly mimics the infinite depth of outer space. With the use of complex algorithms, the harnessing and manipulating of a space beyond our physical grasp becomes a reality. Layers, portals, masks, and links all facilitate a simulation of actual dimensional space, but also invite the possibility to defy the physics of a tangible reality. Artists have been exploring and writing about this since the introduction of such technology and with the almost exponential growth of these technologies, avenues are still being explored.
| Accepted Mediums |
MACAA invites artists working in any digital medium (photography, video, digital renderings, virtual reality, GIFs, and web art) to submit work that engages with the deceptive space of the digital platform, complicates and questions traditional dimensions, and/or engages with the potential infiniteness of the digital space.
| Awards |
Best in Show – $200 and a free 2-year membership to MACAA
Second Place – $100 and a free 2-year membership to MACAA
Honorable Mention – $50 and a free 2-year membership to MACAA
Student Travel Scholarship - $300 to attend the 2018 MACAA Conference and a free 2-year
membership to MACAA.
| Application Process |
- Artists may submit up to 3 works for a submission fee of $5 per work. - Use the link paypal.me/MACAA to submit your payment. - PayPal will send you and email with your transaction number. Please include this number in your artwork submission email.
- Artists can pay $30 to submit three works as well as become a member of MACAA. - Use the link paypal.me/MACAA to submit your payment. - PayPal will send you and email with your transaction number. Please include this number in your artwork submission email.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line of Staring Into Space “Lastname”. (ex. Staring Into Space Hertel) - If you are submitting photographs, GIFs, or digital renderings you can submit up to 3 jpegs that are formatted to these specifications:
- A .jpg no smaller than 2000 pixels on the shortest side, 300 ppi, Adobe RGB orsRGB color space, and less than 5MB in file size.
- Labeled as Lastname_1, 2, 3 (ex. Hertel_1, Hertel_2, Hertel_3)
- If you are submitting video, web art, or virtual reality please provide a link to the work in the body of your email. For submitting video, Vimeo is
the preferred hosting site. All video work must be shorter then 10 minutes. - For all submissions please provide the title, media, dimensions/run time, and year completed in the body of your email.
Student Travel Scholarship:
- You must be a current student during the Fall 2017 semester - Complete the above mentioned steps as well as submitting a copy of your Fall 2017 student schedule if you wish to be placed in the running for the
Student Travel Scholarship - If you are awarded the Student Travel Scholarship you will receive those funds when you arrive at the 2018 MACAA Conference in Lincoln
Nebraska. - The selection of the Student Travel Scholarship will be done by the MACAA Board Members.
| Timeline |
Submission Deadline – January 1st 2018
Notifications of Acceptance – February 15th 2018
Exhibition on MACAA’s Website – February 20th 2018 – June 30th 2018
Exhibited during CAA conference – February 21st – 24th 2018
Exhibited during MACAA conference – October 3rd – 6th 2018
| Inquiries |
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.